[Python-Dev] To 3.0.2 or not to 3.0.2?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Tue Feb 17 10:00:30 CET 2009

Le Tuesday 17 February 2009 08:52:20 Lennart Regebro, vous avez écrit :
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 00:50, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > Can you explain the difficulty with porting setuptools in more detail?
>
> Oh, it just exposes a bug in distutils. It probably means I'll have to
> make a test for python version, and if it is 3.0.1, monkey-patch
> distutils. I haven't really looked into if there is any other
> possibilities yet, I'm concentrating to make it run for 3.1 trunk
> first.

That's funny, because the failing code does compare versions :-)

  File "c:\Python30\lib\distutils\cygwinccompiler.py", line 314, in __init__
    if self.gcc_version <= "2.91.57":
  File "c:\Python30\lib\distutils\version.py", line 64, in __le__
    c = self._cmp(other)
  File "c:\Python30\lib\distutils\version.py", line 341, in _cmp
    return cmp(self.version, other.version)
NameError: global name 'cmp' is not defined

--
Victor Stinner aka haypo
http://www.haypocalc.com/blog/