[Python-Dev] No 2.x->3.x porting documentation?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Feb 16 03:59:43 CET 2009

I apologize if this has been discussed here or elsewhere already.  I'm
offline as I write this so my only source of guidance is what I find in my
Subversion checkouts.

I'm making a naive stab at converting nose to Python3 so I can hopefully run
the lockfile test cases under Python 3.  (Again, I'm offline and have no
idea at this point if it's been done already.)  I ran 2to3 then tried
installing.  I got an immediate error about the compiler.consts module being
missing.  (All nose does is import CO_GENERATOR from compiler.consts.)  I
found that in the inspect module.  Then it complained about ClassType being
missing from the types module.  I found no mention of changes to the types
module in Misc/NEWS or Doc/whatsnew/3.0.rst.  I didn't find anything which
looked like a "porting" document.

If neither of these changes could be handled by 2to3 I think it would have
been useful to at least document the changes (in whatsnew/3.0.rst?) and
maybe offer humans some workaround ideas.  If there is a wiki page
collecting porting wisdom it should be referenced.  If I'm missing something
fundamental about how people are expected to approach porting 2.x code to
3.x, please let me know.

Thanks,

Skip