[Python-Dev] IDLE reading IDLESTARTUP or PYTHONSTARTUP on restart

Raghuram Devarakonda draghuram at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 20:07:44 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Mitchell L Model <MLMLists at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have a patch for IDLE, but I've never submitted a patch before and not
> quite sure of the procedure, despite reading the guidelines at
> http://www.python.org/dev/patches/. But I'll be brave and persevere. The
> question I have at the moment is should I only submit the patch vs. 3.1 or
> also for 3.0? 2.7? 2.6? 2.5?

The guidelines listed above clearly state that patches should be sent
relative to the current SVN tree. That would be 2.7, I guess. In
addition, I would suggest uploading the patch to
http://codereview.appspot.com which makes reviewing simpler. Perhaps,
the guidelines page can mention this point.

> Guidance on all of these would be greatly appreciated. The patch itself
> disturbs things in a half-dozen places, but in very minimal ways, so it's

The recommended way is to create a tracker issue (with or without
patch) and send a mail here with the issue link and a brief
description. That will allow interested people to check the issue and
add comments.

Thanks,
Raghu