[Python-Dev] regrtest hangs on test_tk_guionly

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:25:20 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
> In the trunk, test_tk_guionly

test_ttk_guionly, right ?

> hangs if I run it through regrtest. This is on
> a Fedora Core 6 box, without X installed.

Does it hang if you run it alone through regrtest, or, together with
all the other tests ?

> If I run test_tk_guionly directly, it exits saying there's no DISPLAY set,
> which is what I'd expect:
>
> ------8<------------------
> [trunk]$ ./python Lib/test/test_ttk_guionly.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "Lib/test/test_ttk_guionly.py", line 11, in <module>
>    raise test_support.TestSkipped("ttk not available: %s" % msg)
> test.test_support.TestSkipped: ttk not available: no display name and no
> $DISPLAY environment variable
> [29788 refs]
> ------8<------------------
>

> If I run regrtest with (or without) -v, it hangs without any output from
> test_tk_guionly:
>
> ------8<------------------
> OK
> test_transformer
> Test multiple targets on the left hand side. ... ok

> Ran 1 test in 0.020s
>
> OK
> test_ttk_guionly
> <hangs here>
> ------8<------------------
>

> I'm not seeing a problem in the py3k branch. There, test_tk_guionly is
> skipped:
>
> ------8<------------------
> test_ttk_guionly
> test_ttk_guionly skipped -- ttk not available: no display name and no
> $DISPLAY environment variable
> ------8<------------------
>
> I'm not sure how to further isolate this, since I can't duplicate it when
> running the test by itself. I'm mostly curious if anyone else is seeing this
> problem. If it's just me, I'll just switch to a Mac, where the problem
> doesn't occur (if for no other reason, because ttk is not available). If
> others are seeing a problem, I'll spend some time isolating it.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this problem?

I've noticed it, it is on http://bugs.python.org/issue5122

The second part of the issue description is actually unrelated to the
problem (or at least I'm almost sure it is), so you may discard it. I
wasn't able to duplicate it here, but I could try installing fedora
here to try reproducing and see if I can solve it.

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves