[Python-Dev] Warnings

Jaroslav Pachola pachola at mageo.cz
Thu Feb 5 18:08:09 CET 2009

Hello,

Dne Thursday 05 February 2009 Antoine Pitrou napsal(a):
> Hello,
>
> > I agree.  The best thing to do would be to deprecate the Python wrappers
> > around insecure C functions and then remove them after a couple releases.
>
> They have been removed in 3.0.

What's the replacement in the library then, in case that I just want to create
a unique file name and I don't care about the possible issues?

> > Why does Python offer
> > this attractive nuisance?
>
> Well, there was a time when security concerns were a lot less wide-spread.

Is using of virtual memory secure? Aren't we all adults suddenly? ;-)

I know, the damage has already been done (as with cmp parameter of sort(ed)
etc.) and I should have notice them sooner. Or it is only me, maybe, who
thinks that such weight losing is not healthy for the language and library
users.

Regards,

JP