[Python-Dev] Removing tp_compare?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Feb 2 23:07:44 CET 2009

> Don't you rememeber the PC:s in the late 1980th? It was based on
> Intel's 80286-processor, and Microsoft's C compiler supported
> three or four different memory models, called things like "TINY",
> "SMALL", "LARGE", and "HUGE". Most of these memory models had
> different sized data and function pointers.

I don't think this is factually correct:
- tiny, small: code and data each 16 bit
- large, huge: code and data each 32 bit
- medium: code 32 bit, data 16 bit
- compact: code 16 bit, data 32 bit

So most of the memory models (66%) have same-sized data and
function pointers, only few of them (33%) have them
differently-sized.

In any case, I don't think Python supports 8086 segmented mode
in any reasonable way today.

Regards,
Martin