[Python-Dev] pprint(iterator)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 22:08:51 CET 2009

On 2009-02-02 14:50, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Really drastic performance degradations would be on the radar as well -
> slowing pprint() down by 10% is unlikely to bother anyone, but slowing
> it down by 100% would be a bad thing (not that I think such a
> degradation is likely, I'm just trying to give an impression of the
> magnitude of change I'll be trying to measure).

Using the pretty module I referenced earlier, which basically uses
simplegeneric's lookup algorithm:

In [11]: %timeit x=pprint.pformat(sys.modules)
10 loops, best of 3: 27.5 ms per loop

In [12]: %timeit x=pretty.pretty(sys.modules)
10 loops, best of 3: 39.9 ms per loop

In [13]: len(sys.modules)
Out[13]: 517

The comparison is somewhat dodgy, though. pretty is not so much a refactoring of
pprint as a reimplementation, so the time differences may not be due to the
dispatch.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."