[Python-Dev] pprint(iterator)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:01:46 CET 2009

Paul Moore wrote:
> 2009/2/2 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>:
>> A trio of patches that:
>> 1. promoted simplegeneric from pkgutil to functools (with appropriate
>> documentation and tests)
>> 2. changed pkgutil to use functools.simplegeneric instead of its current
>>  internal version
>> 3. updated pprint to be a generic function (and hence more easily
>> extensible via the ABC mechanism, while still keeping it's current
>> special cases as necessary)
>>
>> would certainly be an interesting thing to see (with patch 3 being the
>> poster child for why patch 1 is a good idea).
>
> I'll see what I can do. I can't promise much for (3) as I don't
> personally have a need for it, so my understanding of the use cases is
> limited at best. But (1) and (2) should be possible.
>
> Can I assign the patches to you (for review, at least)?

Sure - I've had plenty to do with functools in the past, and will no
doubt have plenty to do with it in the future.

Given that I believe Guido was one of the folks whose brain was hurt by
PJE's attempts to explain PEP 3124, I'll be bringing the discussion back
here before committing anything though :)

(and don't worry too much about 3 - it will give me an opportunity to
road test the functools patch by using it to refactor pprint and check
the performance implications)

Cheers,
Nick.