[Python-Dev] Should execv() call _run_exitfuncs()? If not, should _run_exitfuncs() be private?

Rocky Bernstein rocky at gnu.org
Sun Feb 1 01:55:26 CET 2009

As a hobby I've been writing a debugger. One of the
commands,"restart", works by calling an execv(). You may need to do
this when
the program you are debugging is threaded or when one needs to ensure
that all program state is reinitialized.

Recently, I added remote debugging via TCP sockets and noticed that
execv() in Python doesn't arrange exit hooks to get called. Should it?

One can run _run_exitfuncs() from the atexit module, but the leading
underscore of the function call suggests it is private. Should it be?

Thanks