[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Dec 29 02:00:50 CET 2009

David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> writes:

> The counter argument for 'cloning' the linux packaging system is that
> most of the representations come from a C perspective. Because of the
> fact that Linux is predominantly a C product.
>
> Since Python isn't C, and doesn't come from C, then one could argue
> that using short-hand or high level notation is more in keeping with
> the character of python.

Even if that were true (and it's not at all clear that “Python does not
come from C”), that's a classic “not invented here” (NIH) argument. NIH
is widely regarded as a very poor reason to reject something that works.

The dependency declarations are *not* Python language syntax, and there
is no need to consider Python language syntax in defining them.

--
 \          “When we talk to God, we're praying. When God talks to us, |
  `\         we're schizophrenic.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily Tomlin, 1985 |