[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Dec 28 12:45:20 CET 2009

Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:54, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > This == operator is fairly common in Debian. For example, the
> > apache2 package installed on my system specifies
>
> Oh, absolutely, but that's when you specify interdependencies between
> packages. Nobody makes a Python package for generic use and say "you
> should only use this with Python 2.5.0 and nothing else". Specifying
> zope.interfaces 1.2.3 for zope.component 1.2.3 makes a lot of sense,
> but specifying only Python 2.5.0?

I'm operating from the principle that there should not be a special
syntax that only applies to dependency on the version of Python.

The same syntax used for specifying any dependency on any package should
also be sufficient for specifying a dependency on Python itself. That
being so, the cost in complexity of having a special dependency syntax
just for the version of Python should weigh strongly against introducing
one.

--
 \       “First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” —The |
  `\                                              Doctor, _Doctor Who_ |