[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 12:08:10 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:02, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> -1. This looks like typos the developer made on his versions definitions.
>
> Nah.
>
>> And if not, is subject to errors by forgetting dashes or dots.
>
> Eh, yeah but that goes for ANY syntax.
>
> Having the same syntax as for package specifications does make sense, though.
> (So we should clearly change that one too, eh?)

I don't think we need to change the syntax in fact. The current one,
with simple operators covers the needs as far as I see.

What was fuzzy is the meaning of version strings like "2.5".

Once it's clarified (and it seems we have a better definition already
since a few mails), I think the current syntax works naturally with
ranges.

Regards
Tarek

--