[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Dec 28 08:55:02 CET 2009

Hi Stephen,

> BTW, *all* of the Python applications I really care about make a point
> of specifying a range of versions they work with (or bundle a
> particular version).

Yes, well that was my point exactly.

If opinion is against commas, then we can take them out.

That would give us something like:

  Requires-python: 2.5 2.6 2.7 3

That would specify a bundle of versions.

Processing that only requires the string split() function.

If we were to adds Lens suggestion of the range indicator
that would simplify things even more.

  Requires-python: 2.5:2.7 3

That would specify everything between 2.5 and 2.7 and then
everything in the 3 series.

This would make it very simple.

David