[Python-Dev] [issue1644818] Allow importing built-in submodules

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Dec 19 23:56:19 CET 2009

On Dec 19, 2009, at 5:29 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:

> Well, that's disapointing. I work on several other free software
> projects, and my time is really scarce too.
>
> I understand blackmailing me to close a bug can be seen as a nice game.
> Honestly, if I had more time to get involve in that area, I'll
> take it as a game and would do it with pleasure.
>
> But in my current position and with "I-do-software-developement-too",
> you are just pissing me off for not fixing a bug in your program with a 10
> lines long patch written by someone else 3 years ago.
>
> Something that should take 5 minutes, probably the time we both lost by
> writing our respective emails. Or give commit access, I'll do it for
> you.

I think you're missing the point here.  This one particular patch is 10 lines long, but the problem is that there are thousands of patches in the Python tracker, many of which are buggy or incorrect, all of which need to be reviewed.  All of which *are* being reviewed, as people have time.  Nothing is particularly special about your patch.

In other words, Martin is asking you to review only 5 patches, but you're asking him to review tens of thousands.  I think the 5-for-1 deal is a great idea, because it takes peoples' impatience and turns it into a resource to deal with other peoples' impatience :).