[Python-Dev] First draft of "sysconfig"

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Dec 17 04:18:00 CET 2009

David Lyon writes:

 > I'm not star-gazing, because all these things are already
 > needed and already being done to some degree in some
 > organisations. There's already the libraries on pypi for
 > most of this anyway.

Sure.  But in a volunteer project, it's beg, buy, or build.  Begging
has not worked, and it's not because people don't understand what
you're saying.  Nobody is saying that want you want is stupid or
impossible, either.  It's just that they have created those libraries
you mention, they have built PyPI, they have written distutils and
setuptools and others.  *These work well enough* ... except for you,
apparently.  I have no problem with that, and you're welcome to beg.

But IMO at this point you're coming close to crossing the line from
begging to whining.  There clearly is no interest in going down the
road you propose.  Post a bounty or build it yourself (you were pretty
much done with something last time around, weren't you?), and either
way use the usual channels (eg, PyPI) to distribute the product and
accumulate user interest and support for future attempts at logrolling
to get it into the stdlib.