[Python-Dev] First draft of "sysconfig"

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:40:56 CET 2009

On 15/12/2009 2:07 PM, David Lyon wrote:

> Hi Tarek,
>
> Is there anything in this proposal for windows developers ?
>
> Just that I can't see anything that would help us...

So I understand - help doing what?

> For me, the terminology isn't anything a windows developer could
> really understand. It presumes that the developer understands the
> python implementation. A developer might not understand all those
> details and might not be interested to learn.

That seems true for all operating systems, not just Windows.  The vast
majority of Python programmers will probably never need to use this
feature, but those who do will need to understand enough of the python
implementation to make sense of the values returned regardless of the OS.

> I accept that the terminology is good on linux.. but it's near
> meaningless on windows - for me - anyway.

I think it is fine.  If you are really looking for properties specific
to the operating system (eg, the location of the start menu, desktop,
appdata folders etc) I don't think they belong in this PEP; they are a
property of the OS install/version, not of the specific Python
install/version.

Cheers,

Mark