[Python-Dev] First draft of "sysconfig"

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 15 01:00:12 CET 2009

Tarek wrote:

> (I didn't digg on how Jython organizes things yet, any hint would be
> appreciated)

The installation directory looks like it's organized just like CPython
but I have no clue how user directories would/should be arranged.

> > Also if the purpose of this is for platform specific build directories
> > it might be interesting to have multiple return values.  For example in
> > IronPython the minimal thing we'd want I think is a "cli" directory for
> > .NET assemblies.  But there could also be native extensions which are
> > platform specific so we'd want "cli-x86" and "cli-x64" depending upon
> > the platform.  Jython might want the same thing as they add ctypes
> > support.
>
> So like, having an architecture marker, that defaults to the current ?
>
>    get_platform(architecture=platform.architecture)

How would you know what other architectures would be valid to pass in
here?  Returning a list would let the implementation say that it knows
a certain set of architectural binaries are valid.