[Python-Dev] First draft of "sysconfig"

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Dec 15 00:17:00 CET 2009

Dino Viehland <dinov <at> microsoft.com> writes:

> > * get_platform():  Return a string that identifies the current
> > platform. (this one is used by site.py for example)
>
> I wonder if this would make more sense a built-in.  Ultimately it seems
> like the interpreter implementation knows best about what aspects of
> it's underlying platform would require different libraries.

I don't think it makes sense to make a builtin of such a little used,
non-performance critical API.
If we want to factor out all implementation-specific things, we could add a
module dedicated to that (e.g. "_interpreter") and have other modules (os,
platform, sysconfig...) draw from that.

Regards

Antoine.