[Python-Dev] Unittest/doctest formatting differences in 2.7a1?

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 18:29:39 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Michael Foord
> <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 09/12/2009 16:27, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>>
>> I just ran the tests for zope.testing on Python 2.7, and the results are not
>> good. It seems that there are multiple minor difference in the output
>> formatting of the testresults between 2.7 and previous 2.x versions. The
>> result is that all the tests that test testing (zope.testing includes a
>> testrunner) fails.
>>
>> Is these changes necessary?

Well all Pythons need to change their (skin?) from time to time , isn't it ?
:P

>> It's going to be hell to test any form of
>> testrunner under both 2.6 and 2.7 if the formatting of test results have
>> changed.
>>

> This is fuzzy . It is necessary to be more precise and describe what
> happens in detail.

Sorry I didn't see your confirmation in the last msg you posted to the list .

@Fred Drake <fdrake at acm dot org>
{{{
Evolving the tests to avoid depending on these sorts of implementation
details is reasonable, IMO, and cuold even be considered a bugfix by
the Zope community.
}}}

Salomon says :

  - Problem could impact beyond Zope itself
  - unittest has been very stable (until now) so many solutions might be
    tightly coupled to its implementation details (e.g. formatting and reports)
  - so why not to include an option in order to keep runners compatible with
    < 2.7 ?

A dinosaur will not become a Python in just a few days
;o)

> Besides, I think that it's also necessary to mention (briefly) how
> tests look like . Perhaps this is a situation where many fragile tests
> [1]_ have been written and something

... changed somewhere and your tests suddenly don't pass anymore
:(

> PS: I'm talking loud with my eyes closed , just a few preliminary
> thoughts while waiting for the details ;o)

... opening my eyes

:o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Depurando errores en aplicaciones web CGI con Python  -
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-es/~3/xxyDHHH1YZ8/depurando-errores-en-aplicaciones-web.html