[Python-Dev] Unittest/doctest formatting differences in 2.7a1?

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Dec 9 17:43:54 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> Could you mention what specific changes are causing problems?

I'd be glad to head Lennart confirm this, but I suspect this is
primarily changes in exception messages; 2.7 in many places provides
better messages.

I found some of this with a few of the Zope-related packages that I
tried testing under pre-2.7 versions of Python.  If this is what
Lennart's referring to, I consider this to be a problem with the
tests.  Unfortunately, doctest lends itself to having tests that check
these sorts of implementation details, and the Zope community has
certainly succumbed to that temptation.

Evolving the tests to avoid depending on these sorts of implementation
details is reasonable, IMO, and cuold even be considered a bugfix by
the Zope community.

  -Fred