[Python-Dev] Rules for the Tools directory

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 09:49:13 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 17:20, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net
> <mailto:solipsis at pitrou.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I was going to suggest adding ccbench and iobench to the Tools
>     directory,
>     so I wonder whether there are any rules for putting stuff there?
>

> Much like the Demos directory, there are no rules.

I wouldn't go quite that far - while those directories aren't controlled
in the same way as the interpreter and the standard library, there's
still the fact that this is code that the PSF will end up redistributing.

That means the basic rules for any checkin still apply:
- PSF must have the necessary legal rights to redistribute the code
(usually via a Contributor Agreement)
- code should be of good quality

At least checking for objections on python-dev first is probably a good
idea as well (in this case, I think both ccbench and iobench make good
additions).

Cheers,
Nick.