[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Aug 24 04:59:16 CEST 2009

On 23/08/2009 5:25 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> If this becomes seen as 'my' cause, I suspect it will run out of steam
>> very quickly.  I truly hope python-dev, as a community, takes some
>> ownership of this issue
>
> That certainly won't happen. python-dev, as a community, has never ever
> taken ownership of anything. It's always individuals who take ownership.

I believe ownership of a task and ownership of a cause are somewhat
different.

In other words, I'm happy to take ownership of a number as tasks
relating to this cause, but if the general feeling is that it is my
cause rather than *our* cause, then I will probably opt-out - I'm taking
these tasks on at this moment purely because I believe it *is* a common
cause.

> So you essentially say that you want somebody else (but not you) take
> ownership - which, of course, is certainly fine. Hence my call for
> volunteers.

Hence my volunteering and the time I am currently spending.

>> There seem to be a number of people who agree the
>> status-quo isn't acceptable, so I'm not sure what would happen in that
>> case...
>
> My prediction is that it will depend on whether workable code is
> available by the time a decision is made to migrate. If code is
> available, then migration will happen (no matter whether the code
> has an owner); if no code is available, migration will stall.

Right - I guess we are all still struggling with exactly what "workable
code" means in this context.

Cheers,

Mark