[Python-Dev] PEP 3144: IP Address Manipulation Library for the Python Standard Library

Joel Bender jjb5 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 20 22:34:46 CEST 2009

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Maybe this is something that differs by country, but I have *never*
> heard the first address in an IP network (i.e. every bit not covered by
> the netmask set to zero) referred to as anything other than the "network
> address".

Ah!  A change to interject a mostly pointless comment...

Prior to IEN-212 [1] it wasn't standardized, the 'zero' was used and
supported by the Berkeley socket library.  This was a number of years
ago, however (!), and I dare say the sample code is lost to antiquity.

> And if someone does need to deal with that, then they create an
> appropriate subclass or use a less lightweight IP addressing library.

Indeed.

Joel
[1] <http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/ien/ien212.txt>