[Python-Dev] PEP 385: the eol-type issue

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Aug 5 21:43:08 CEST 2009

Neil Hodgson schrieb:
> Martin v. Löwis:
>
>> Or don't you understand why that single unresolved item didn't manage
>> to revert the decision? Well, there are many unresolved items in
>> the Mercurial conversion, some much more stressful than the eol issue
>> (e.g. the branching discussion).
>
>    Then these issues should have been included in the initial PEP for
> choosing a DVCS since the issues could have driven the choice. PEP 374
> implies that win32text effectively solves the Windows eol issue which
> no longer appears to be correct.

Apparently, it was the author's understanding at that time that win32text
would be sufficient.  Also, PEP 374 has not been written in isolation; at
any time during the process people could have notified Dirkjan that this
is not the case.

The branching issue *has* been included in PEP 374; it is not a blocker
for migration, but rather a decision has to be made between two similar,
but in other ways quite different styles for converting SVN branches.

I'm not aware of any other unresolved items; they may exist, but the fact
that they're not discussed on this list in detail means that they are
largely unimportant.

Georg