[Python-Dev] PEP 385: the eol-type issue

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 5 09:35:26 CEST 2009

>    I haven't commented on this issue before because I can't really be
> helpful. I just don't understand why hg is being considered before
> it's Windows support is roughly equivalent to svn and cvs.

Is it really that you don't *understand*? It's fairly easy: there was
a PEP which offered a number of options, and there was BDFL
pronouncement. This (BDFL pronouncement) is how Python has always
worked, and, as a principle, it is a good and useful process.

Now, the specific outcome of the process means that more work needs to
be done. So we have a *second* PEP, and we have a lack of volunteers
that help implementing it. The second PEP hasn't been approved yet
(as it isn't complete, yet), so migration to hg is stalled.
The primary volunteer (Dirkjan) has indicated that he can't help with
that specific issue, so other volunteers need to step forward, or we
cannot move to hg.

Regards,
Martin