[Python-Dev] PEP 385: pruning/reorganizing branches

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:35:33 CEST 2009

Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 08:06, "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I don't know what your plan is wrt. release tags, i.e. whether you
>> want to keep them all. If you are stripping out some of the branches,
>> but plan to keep the release tags, I wonder what the tags look like.
>
> The plan was to keep all maintenance branches and all release tags but
> not all release branches (since they seem to contain few commits
> anyway).

I think I share Martin's confusion here - how can you keep a release tag
 (e.g. 2.2.2) without also keeping the release branch where that tag was
created? Yes, the maintenance branches contain a comparatively small
number of commits, but they're still the sources of the maintenance
release tags.

Or is this a case where Mercurial's DAG allows you to handle those old
branches as "abandoned" leaves of the DAG in the history of the affected
files, with the tags picking out the relevant versions of the files?

Cheers,
Nick.