[Python-Dev] a suggestion ... Re: PEP 383 (again)

Thomas Breuel tmbdev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 12:56:03 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:32, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> > OK, so what's wrong with os.listdir() and similar functions returning a
> > unicode string for strings that correctly encode/decode, and with byte
> > strings for strings that are not valid unicode?
>
> See http://bugs.python.org/issue3187
> in particular msg71655

Why didn't you point to that discussion from the PEP 383?  And why didn't
you point to Kowalczyk's message on encodings in Mono, Java, etc. from the
PEP?  You could have saved us all a lot of time.

Under the set of constraints that Guido imposes, plus the requirement that
round-trip works for illegal encodings, there is no other solution than PEP
383.  That doesn't make PEP 383 right--I still think it's a bad
decision--but it makes it pointless to discuss it any further.

Tom