[Python-Dev] a suggestion ... Re: PEP 383 (again)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Apr 30 05:45:52 CEST 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:16:20 pm Thomas Breuel wrote:
> And that's why I think this proposal should be shelved for a while
> until people have had more time to try to understand the issues and
> also come up with alternative proposals.  Once this is adopted and
> implemented in C-Python, Python is stuck with it forever.

+1 on this. I'm going to quote the Zen here:

Now is better than never.
Although never is often better than *right* now.

I don't understand the proposal and issues. I see a lot of people
claiming that they do, and then spending all their time either
talking past each other, or disagreeing. If everyone who claims they
understand the issues actually does, why is it so hard to reach a
consensus?

I'd like to see some real examples of how things can break in the
current system, and I'd like any potential solution to be made
available as a third-party package before it goes into the standard
library (if possible). Currently, we're reduced to trying to predict
the consequences of implementing the PEP, instead of being able to
try it out and see.

Even something like a test suite would be useful: here are a bunch of
malformed file names, and this is what happens when you try to work
with them. Please, let's see some code we can run, not more words.

--
Steven D'Aprano