[Python-Dev] a suggestion ... Re: PEP 383 (again)

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Thu Apr 30 05:40:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Thomas Breuel <tmbdev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, what are Jython and IronPython supposed to do on UNIX?  Can they
> implement these semantics at all?

IronPython will inherit whatever behavior Mono has implemented. The
Microsoft CLR defines the native string type as UTF-16 and all of the
managed APIs for things like file names and environmental variables
operate on UTF-16 strings -- there simply are no byte string APIs.

I assume that Mono does the same but I don't have any Mono experience.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org