[Python-Dev] PEP 383 (again)

Thomas Breuel tmbdev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 20:38:44 CEST 2009

> However, it is "mission creep": Martin didn't volunteer to
> write a PEP for it, he volunteered to write a PEP to solve the
> "roundtrip the value of os.listdir()" problem.  And he succeeded, up
> to some minor details.

Yes, it solves that problem.  But that doesn't come without cost.

Most importantly, now Python writes illegal UTF-8 strings even if the user
chose a UTF-8 encoding.   That means that illegal UTF-8 encodings can
propagate anywhere, without warning.

Furthermore, I don't believe that PEP 383 works consistently on Windows, and
it causes programs to behave differently in unintuitive ways on Windows and
Linux.

I'll suggest an alternative in a separate message.

Tom