[Python-Dev] [Python-ideas] Proposed addtion to urllib.parse in 3.1 (and urlparse in 2.7)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Apr 20 17:42:28 CEST 2009

Bill Janssen <janssen <at> parc.com> writes:

> Sure.  And if HTTP was all about browsers keying off pages, that would
> be fine with me.  But it's not.  HTTP is used in lots of places where
> there are no browsers;

I'm sorry, I don't follow you. The fact that something else than a browser makes
the request shouldn't change the behaviour on the /server/ side.

> It's used in
> places where there are no "pages", too, just servers on which clients
> are making REST-style calls.

So what? The designer of the REST API must mandate an encoding (most probably
UTF-8 rather than Latin-1 as you bizarrely seemed to imply) and the problem is
solved.

Complaining that the RFC doesn't specify all this sounds like an excuse for
programmer laziness.

Antoine.