[Python-Dev] #!/usr/bin/env python --> python3 where applicable

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:46:06 CEST 2009

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
>
>> That's an unfortunate decision. When the 2.X line stops being
>> maintained (after 2.7 maybe?) we're going to be stuck with the "3"
>> suffix forever for the "real" Python.
>
> I don't see why we have to be stuck with it forever.
> When 2.x has faded into the sunset, we can start
> aliasing 'python' to 'python3' if we want, can't we?

You could, but it's not my favorite idea.  Gets people used to the idea
of python == python2 and python3 == python3 as something they can count
on.  Then says, "Oops, that was just an implementation detail, we're
changing that now".  Much better to either make a clean break and call
the new language dialect python3 from now and forever or force people to
come up with solutions to whether /usr/bin/python == python2 or python3
right now while it's fresh and relevant in their minds.

-Toshio