[Python-Dev] #!/usr/bin/env python --> python3 where applicable

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 08:16:57 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 05:51, Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's an unfortunate decision. When the 2.X line stops being
> maintained (after 2.7 maybe?) we're going to be stuck with the "3"
> suffix forever for the "real" Python.

Yes, but that's the only decision that really works.

> Why doesn't it make more sense to just use "python3" only for
> "altinstall" and "python" for "fullinstall"?

Because you will then get Python 3 trying to run all shebangs that
should be run with python 2. Making Python 3 default doesn't make it
compatible. ;-) And yes, that means we are stuck with it forever, and
I don't like that either, but nobody could come up with an
alternative.

The recommendation to use python3 could change back to use python once
2.7 falls out of support, which is gonna be many years still. And
until then we kinda need different shebang lines. Not much you can do
to get around that.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64