[Python-Dev] #!/usr/bin/env python --> python3 where applicable

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 05:51:46 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> 2009/4/18 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>:
>> I see a few options:
>> 1. Abandon the "python" name for the 3.x series and commit to calling it
>> "python3" now and forever (i.e. actually make the decision that Mitchell
>> refers to).
>
> I believe this was decided on sometime (the sprints?).

That's an unfortunate decision. When the 2.X line stops being
maintained (after 2.7 maybe?) we're going to be stuck with the "3"
suffix forever for the "real" Python.

Why doesn't it make more sense to just use "python3" only for
"altinstall" and "python" for "fullinstall"?

Steve
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy