[Python-Dev] Issue5434: datetime.monthdelta

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 22:41:49 CEST 2009

It's not only about what people find intuitive. Why care about them?
Most persons aren't programmers. It is about what application
developers find useful too. I have often needed to calculate month
deltas according to the proposal. I suspect many other programmers
have too. Writing a month add function isn't entirely trivial and
would be a good candidate for stdlib imho.

2009/4/17, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> James Y Knight <foom <at> fuhm.net> writes:
>>
>> It's a human-interface operation, and as such, everyone (ahem) "knows
>> what it means" to say "2 months from now", but the details don't
>> usually have to be thought about too much.
>
> I don't think it's true. When you say "2 months from now", some people will
> think "9 weeks from now" (or "10 weeks from now"), others "60 days from
> now",
> and yet other will think of the meaning this proposal gives it.
>
> That's why, when scheduling a meeting, you don't say "2 months from now".
> You
> give a precise date instead, because you know otherwise people wouldn't show
> up
> on the same day.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.