[Python-Dev] Issue5434: datetime.monthdelta

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 16:56:40 CEST 2009

2009/4/16  <skip at pobox.com>:
>    >>> date(2008, 1, 30) + monthdelta(1)
>    datetime.date(2008, 2, 29)
>
> What would this loop would print?
>
>    for d in range(1, 32):
>        print date(2008, 1, d) + monthdelta(1)
>
> I have this funny feeling that arithmetic using monthdelta wouldn't always
> be intuitive.

Oh, certainly! But in the absence of "intuitive", I've found in the
past that "standardised" is often better than nothing :-) (For
example, I use Oracle's add_months function fairly often - it's not
perfect, and not always intuitive, but at least it's well-defined in
the corner cases, and fine for "normal" use).

Paul.