[Python-Dev] Google Summer of Code/core Python projects - RFC

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Mon Apr 13 18:39:06 CEST 2009

C. Titus Brown wrote:

> [...]
> I have had a hard time getting a good sense of what core code is well
> tested and what is not well tested, across various platforms.  While
> Walter's C/Python integrated code coverage site is nice, it would be
> even nicer to have a way to generate all that information within any
> particular checkout on a real-time basis.

This might have to be done incrementally. Creating the output for
http://coverage.livinglogic.de/ takes about 90 minutes. This breaks done
like this:

Downloading: 2sec
Unpacking: 3sec
Configuring: 30sec
Compiling: 1min
Running the test suite: 1hour
Reading coverage files: 8sec
Generating HTML files: 30min

> Doing so in the context of
> Snakebite would be icing... and I think it's worth supporting in core,
> especially if it can be done without any changes *to* core.

The only thing we'd probably need in core is a way to configure Python
to run with code coverage. The coverage script does this by patching the
makefile.

Running the code coverage script on Snakebite would be awesome. The
script is available from here:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pycoco

> -> Another small nit is that they should address Python 2.x, too.
>
> I asked that they focus on EITHER 2.x or 3.x, since "too broad" is an
> equally valid criticism.  Certainly 3.x is the future so I though
> focusing on increasing code coverage, and especially C code coverage,
> could best be applied to 3.x.

Servus,
   Walter