[Python-Dev] [Python-ideas] Proposed addtion to urllib.parse in 3.1 (and urlparse in 2.7)

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:22:05 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Say you are filtering or sorting data based on some URL parameters. If the user
> wants to remove one of those filters, you have to remove the corresponding query
> parameter.

This is a use-case and possibly a hypothetical one which a programmer
might do under special situations.
There are lots of such use cases for which urllib.parse or urlparse
has been used for.

But my thoughts with this proposal is do we have a good RFC
specfications to implementing this?
If not and if we go by just go by the practical needs, then eventually
we will end up with bugs or feature requests in this which will take a
lot of discussions and time to get fixed.

Someone pointed out to read HTML 5.0 spec instead of RFC for this
request. I am yet to do that, but my opinion with respect to additions
to url* module is - backing of RFCs would be the best way to go and
maintain.

--
Senthil