[Python-Dev] graphics maths types in python core?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Apr 6 00:51:19 CEST 2009

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Still, as both you and Greg have pointed out, even in its current form
> memoryview is already useful as a replacement for buffer that doesn't
> share buffer's problems

That may be so, but I was more pointing out that the
elementwise functions I'm talking about would be useful
even without memoryview at all. Mostly you would just
use them directly on array.array or other sequence types.

<rant subject="terminology">
Why is it that whenever the word "buffer" is mentioned,
some people seem to think it has something to do with
memoryview? There is no such thing as "a buffer". There
is the buffer interface, and there are objects which
support the buffer interface, of which memoryview is
one among many.
</rant>

--
Greg