[Python-Dev] Mercurial?

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Sun Apr 5 11:41:40 CEST 2009

On 05/04/2009 07:55, Alexandre Vassalotti wrote:
>     - Verify that the repository at http://code.python.org/hg/ is
> properly converted.

I'm pretty sure that we'll need to reconvert; I don't think the current
conversion is particularly good. We'll also have to decide on named
branches vs. clones, for example, and if we could try to reorder revlogs
to make the repo smaller after conversion.

I've svnsynced the SVN repo so that we can work on it efficiently, and
I've already talked with Augie Fackler, the hgsubversion maintainer,
about what the best way forward is. For example, we may want to leave
some of the very old history behind, or prune some old branches.

>     - Convert the current svn commit hooks to Mercurial.

Some new hooks should also be discussed. For example, Mozilla uses a
single-head hook, to prevent people from pushing multiple heads. They
also have a pushlog extension that keeps a SQLite database of what
people pushed. This is particularly useful for linearizing history,
which is required for integration with buildbot infrastructure.

>     - Add Mercurial support to the issue tracker.

I don't think there's much to do there, but a regex to link up some
commonly-used revision references would be good. If we use cloned
branches, we'll have to come up with some syntax to make that work.

>     - Update the developer FAQ.
>     - Setup temporary svn mirrors for the main Mercurial repositories.

How do you plan to do that? I don't think there are any tools that
support that, yet. I've actually started on my own, but I haven't gotten
very far with it, yet.

>     - Augment code.python.org infrastructure to support the creation of
> developer accounts.

Developers already have accounts, don't they? In any case, some web
interface to facilitate setting up new clones (branches) is also
something that's probably desirable. I think Mozilla has some tooling
for that which we might be able to start off of.

Cheers,

Dirkjan