[Python-Dev] Mercurial?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 5 11:06:33 CEST 2009

> Off the top of my head, the following is needed for a successful migration:
>
>    - Verify that the repository at http://code.python.org/hg/ is
> properly converted.

I see that this has four branches. What about all the other branches?
Will they be converted, or not? What about the stuff outside /python?

In particular, the Stackless people have requested that they move along
with what core Python does, so their code should also be converted.

>    - Add Mercurial support to the issue tracker.

Not sure what this means. There is currently svn support insofar as the
tracker can format rNNN references into ViewCVS links; this should be
updated if possible (removed if not). There would also be a possibility
to auto-close issues from the commit messages. This is not done
currently, so I would not make it a prerequisite for the switch.

>    - Setup temporary svn mirrors for the main Mercurial repositories.

What is that?

>    - Augment code.python.org infrastructure to support the creation of
> developer accounts.

One option would be to carry on with the current setup; migrating it
to hg might work as well, of course.

>    - Update the release.py script.
>
> There is probably some other things that I missed

Here are some:

- integrate with the buildbot
- come up with a strategy for /external (also relevant for
  the buildbot slaves)
- decide what to do with the bzr mirrors

Regards,
Martin