[Python-Dev] graphics maths types in python core?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Apr 4 17:09:39 CEST 2009

C. Titus Brown <ctb <at> msu.edu> writes:

> we're having a discussion over on the GSoC mailing list about basic
> math types

[...]
> ->
> -> Otherwise we'll be doomed to have each project implement vec2, vec3,
> -> vec4, matrix3/4, quaternion (which has already happened many times) -
> -> and continue to have interoperability issues.

This interoperability problem is the very reason the new buffer API and
memoryview object were devised by Travis Oliphant (who is, AFAIK, a numpy
contributor). Unfortunately, Travis disappeared and left us with an unfinished
implementation which doesn't support anything else than linear byte buffers.

So, rather than trying to stuff new specialized datatypes into Python, I suggest
maths types proponents contribute the missing bits of the new buffer API and
memoryview object :-)

Regards

Antoine.