[Python-Dev] Package Management - thoughts from the peanut gallery

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 19:12:20 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> I have taken the commitment to lead these tasks and synchronize the people
>> that are willing to help on this.
>
> Good, I'm one of those people,

Great !

>  sadly my only help may be to ask "how is this
> bit going to be done?".

I'll work on the wiki this week end for that

>> The tasks discussed so far are:
>>
>> - version definition (http://wiki.python.org/moin/DistutilsVersionFight)
>> - egg.info standardification (PEP 376)
>> - metadata enhancement (rewrite PEP 345)
>> - static metadata definition work  (*)
>
> These all seem to be a subset of the last one, right?

Sorry I used "task" I should have used "topics".

We are trying to have a list of well-defined, isolated tasks. Theses tasks
are built upon the discussions we have in these topics.

The last topic (static metadata) might generate new tasks and/or
complete existing tasks.

>> - PyPI mirroring (PEP 381)
>
> I don't see why PyPI isn't just ported to GAE with an S3 data storage bit
> and be done with it... Offline mirrors for people behind firewalls already
> have solutions out there...

GAE+S3 is just an implementation imho. We still need a mirroring protocol
ala CPAN and features in client softwares to use them. (as defined in 381)

>> Each one of this task has a leader, except the one with (*). I just got
>> back
>> from travelling, and I will reorganize
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils asap to it is up-to-date.
>
> Cool, is this the focal point to track your activities?

Exactly. And Distutils-SIG is the mailing list to discuss in ;)

>> If you want to work on one of this task or feel there's a new task you can
>> start, please, join Distutils SIG or contact me,
>
> Well, I think my "big list" breaks down roughly as tasks, of which I think
> the stuff you're already doing will hopefully take care of the first 2, but
> what about the rest. If labour shortage is all that's stopping this, then
> let me know ;-)

Please discuss these new points in Distutils-SIG

Cheers
Tarek