[Python-Dev] PyDict_SetItem hook

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 18:19:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Thomas Wouters <thomas <at> python.org> writes:
>>

>> Pystone is pretty much a useless benchmark. If it measures anything, it's the
> speed of the bytecode dispatcher (and it doesn't measure it particularly well.)
> PyBench isn't any better, in my experience.
>
> I don't think pybench is useless. It gives a lot of performance data about
> crucial internal operations of the interpreter. It is of course very little
> real-world, but conversely makes you know immediately where a performance
> regression has happened. (by contrast, if you witness a regression in a
> high-level benchmark, you still have a lot of investigation to do to find out
> where exactly something bad happened)
>
> Perhaps someone should start maintaining a suite of benchmarks, high-level and
> low-level; we currently have them all scattered around (pybench, pystone,
> stringbench, richard, iobench, and the various Unladen Swallow benchmarks; not
> to mention other third-party stuff that can be found in e.g. the Computer
> Language Shootout).

Already in the works :)

As part of the common standard library and test suite that we agreed
on at the PyCon language summit last week, we're going to include a
common benchmark suite that all Python implementations can share. This
is still some months off, though, so there'll be plenty of time to
bikeshed^Wrationally discuss which benchmarks should go in there.

Collin