[Python-Dev] PyDict_SetItem hook

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Thu Apr 2 04:16:51 CEST 2009

Collin Winter wrote:
> Have you measured the impact on performance?

I've tried to test using pystone, but am seeing more differences between
runs than there is between python w/ the patch and w/o when there is no
hook installed.  The highest pystone is actually from the binary w/ the
patch, which I don't really believe unless it's some low level code
generation affect.  The cost is one test of a global variable and then a
switch to the branch that doesn't call the hooks.

I'd be happy to try to come up with better numbers next week after I get
home from pycon.

John