[Python-Dev] bdb.py trace C implementation?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 01:00:56 CEST 2009

On 2009-04-01 17:53, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> 2009/4/1 Guido van Rossum<guido at python.org>:
>> Tracing has other uses besides debugging though.
>
> The OP said he wished to implement a C trace function for bdb.
> Wouldn't that make it only applicable to debugging?

Once you are at the breakpoint and stepping through the code manually, the
performance is not all that important. However, up until that breakpoint, you
are running a lot of code "in bulk". It would be useful to have a performant
trace function that interferes with that code the least.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco