[Python-Dev] Wing IDE and python.wpr

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Apr 1 20:44:40 CEST 2009

Michael Foord wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> How many are using the Wing IDE to work on core Python?
>
> It would be nice to have a 'python.wpr' checked in to trunk, as I have
> to recreate the project file every time I do a new checkout. Would
> this be useful for anyone else? Where is a good place for it to live?
> Littering the top level directory seems like a bad idea but I can't
> see anywhere else immediately *obvious* (no reason it has to live at
> the top level).
>
> Wing can be configured to use two files for the project - one file for
> the basic configuration (which would be checked in) and one for your
> personal settings (which files you have open, how many windows you are
> using etc) and would be svn-ignored.
The Wing project file is now checked in. It is Misc/python-wing.wpr

The project is configured with SVN integration enabled, with two file
configuration and the wpu file SVN ignored plus the main project
directory added.

The wpr file is text so changes are diff friendly.

There is an issue with the way the project is displayed - the Misc
directory is the top-level with '..' showing as another directory in the
project. This issue will be resolved in the next version of Wing.

There are various other feature-requests now with Wing to better support
using it for developing Python. Currently the debugger doesn't work with
a newly built version of Python and the executable name / location is
platform dependent and so setting a custom executable would only work on
one platform.

It would be easy to add custom tools to (for example) integrate regrtest
or do the configure / make dance on a fresh checkout.

All the best,

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/