[Python-Dev] Status of MS Windows CE port

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Sep 26 07:13:12 CEST 2008

> I used to follow the Python-CE list. I believe that Luke Dunstan (who
> has done the most recent work on a port) discussed a previous attempt to
> get the patch-set accepted into trunk but it was rejected because it
> required too *many* changes.

Perhaps. But I also recall committing patches that
suggested a number of changes necessary for CE (e.g. r46819,
from #1495999 by Lukas Dunstan, and r46064, from #1492356,
by the same author). I don't recall rejecting a patch from
him, but I may have forgotten, or somebody else may have
rejected such a patch.

I do recall a certain unhappiness with the patches. If you
look at http://bugs.python.org/issue1492356, it starts with
"This patch contains part of the changes". What would be
the rationale for including part of the changes, but not all
of them? This appears to be a widespread view of port maintainers:
let's try to get some changes in. Apparently, some believe that
suggesting fewer changes might be more successful. I feel
uncomfortable with that, because I then don't know how many
more times they will approach me with another collection
of a few changes, and whether learning what the later changes
are might have impact on the earlier changes (which I had
already accepted).

Regards,
Martin