[Python-Dev] Python documentation

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Sep 21 12:03:43 CEST 2008

Barry Warsaw schrieb:
> Martin points out that in the past, as part of the release process,
> we've built separate downloadable documentation.
>
> Do we still want to do that for Python 2.6 and 3.0, and if so, how do
> we go about doing that?  I have this feeling that building the
> documentation is much different now than in the past, and I don't
> really have a good feel for how it's done now.
>
> If you think we should release separate downloadable documentation and
> can help integrate that into the release project, you just might be a
> Documentation Expert <wink>.  Please let me know if you can help.

There is almost everything ready for doing this. There is a "download"
page in the HTML docs (that at the moment contains nothing).

If you tell me where the downloadable files will be on python.org, I can
add them to the "download" page and you only need to build the docs and
put them in that location. I've just added a "dist" target to the Doc/
Makefile, so a "make dist" should place all needed files in the Doc/dist
directory, from where you can copy them to the desired location.

Georg