[Python-Dev] bsddb tests disabled by default

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Sep 20 06:46:31 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
>> Well, 'time' says the test takes 16.09 sec user and 16.09 sec system
>> on my MacBook, but a total execution time of almost 8 *minutes*. That
>> is too long to be on by default.
>
> Uhmmmm... That is very strange.

Well, it has always been that way for me, so I always assumed
test_bsddb3 was just a *really* long test.

> A lot of the disk traffic generated by the testsuite is "syncronous". By
> default, under unix, the testsuite should be stored in "/tmp", that is
> usually a ramdisk or something similar. That is the case under Solaris 10.
>
> I don't know about MacOS.

Don't think it is: drwxrwxrwt  11 root  wheel   374B 19 Sep 20:44 tmp/

> I'm executing the testsuite under linux, with a /tmp backed by a proper
> persistent FS (ReiserFS3). This machine is fairly busy, so the testsuite
> actual time should be better:

But you could have a faster CPU, more RAM, Reiser could easily be
faster than HFS+, etc. There is no way any of these comparisons are
going to work. OS X might just plain suck at running test_bsddb3.

Only thing I can think of is that Berkeley DB 4.7 is a ton faster than
4.6 or I am running something differently than you:

time ./python.exe Lib/test/regrtest.py -uall test_bsddb3
~/Dev/python/2.x/pristine
test_bsddb3
Berkeley DB 4.6.21: (September 27, 2007)
Test path prefix:
/var/folders/MN/MN-E3HgoFXSKDXb9le7FQ++++TI/-Tmp-/z-test_bsddb3-527
  test_bsddb3 still working, be patient...
1 test OK.
[48048 refs]
./python.exe Lib/test/regrtest.py -uall test_bsddb3  15.81s user
15.54s system 6% cpu 8:41.56 total

-Brett